Monday, November 8, 2010

Dear Ndugu,

You'll be glad to know that Jeannie's wedding came off without a hitch. Right now, she and Randall are on their way to sunny Orlando, on my nickel, of course. As for me, I'm headed back to Omaha. I'm driving straight through this time, and I've only made one stop. The impressive new archer over the interstate in Corney, Nebraska. An arch that commemorates the courage and determination of the pioneers who cross the state on their way west. You've really got to see it to believe it And it kind of got me thinking, looking at all that history and reflecting on the achievement of people long ago kind of put things in perspective. My trip to Denver, for instance, is so insignificant compared to the journey that others have taken, the bravery that they've shown, the hardships they've endured. I know we are all pretty small in the big scheme of things. And I suppose the most you can hope for is to make some kind of difference. What... what kind of difference have I made? What in the world is better because of me? When I was out in Denver, I tried to do the right thing, tried to convince Jeannie she was... making a big mistake, but... I failed. Now she is married to that demeure and there is nothing I can do about it. I am... weak. And I am a failure. There is just no getting around it. Relatively soon, I will die. Maybe in twenty years. Maybe tomorrow. It doesn't matter. Once I am dead, and everyone who knew me dies, too, it'll be as though I never even existed. What difference has my life made to anyone? None that I can think of. None at all. I hope things are fine with you.

Yours truly,
Warren Schmidt

No comments:

Post a Comment