Thursday, November 18, 2010

THE DARK KNIGHT Fever

Every once in a while, there's gonna be some movie that I watch and don't think much of and later watch again only to find that I love it. The Dark Knight is a good example of this. I saw the film the day after it was released back in 2008 with my friend (which was strange because I had never seen a Batman film prior to then). My friend was praising the film, saying that it was by far the best movie he's even seen. In fact, he had already seen it twice; once at the midnight premiere, and then later that day.
After the movie, I was left with this feeling that I can't really explain, like I felt like I should have enjoyed the film more than I really did. When my dad asked me how it was, I replied, "Yeah, it was pretty good." About a week later, my mom wanted to see it, so I decided to go with her. This time, I enjoyed the film on a completely different level. It was as though I was watching a completely different film than I did before. Once it was over, it felt like my mind was blown, to say the least. Today, The Dark Knight is on of my top ten favorite films ever made. The experience of liking a film a lot better upon the second viewing is what I call The Dark Knight Fever.


I can already think of a few films that gave me the Fever:


Election (1999) - I knew absolutely nothing about this movie before seeing a YouTube video cut for it. For some reason, I was fascinated by it. I'm really not sure why. I never bothered to actually see the movie until I caught it on TBS one day. When it was over, it was kind of an "meh" movie for me, meaning that it was good but nothing I was gonna go out and tell everyone about.


After a few weeks, I saw the movie on sale at a really low price, so I just decided I might as well buy it. I watched the movie again later and I fell in love with it. It was like a re-occurrence of the Dark Knight incident. This time, I found the film funnier, smarter, and just overall more entertaining. This may have been because TBS had to cut out a lot of material, either for time reasons or because some of the stuff was too R-rated for cable TV. Though it hasn't shot it's way into my top lot, it's still a favorite of mine.



Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - This was actually a movie I had heard a lot about before seeing it. I knew it wasn't supposed to be the type of rom-com you see thrown about about Hollywood today. I had also heard that I was the least P.T. Anderson-ish of his other movies. The only PTA flick I had seen before this was There Will Be Blood, and I'm sad to say that these are the only two of his I've seen to this day.
After ten minutes into the film, it felt like it was lacking somewhere, but I wasn't really sure where. It was funny, Sandler was doing a pretty good job, and it seemed like there was nothing wrong with it, but I felt a disturbance (in the Force). By the time it was over, this is what I was thinking: It was okay. Not great, but okay.
A week later, having bought the DVD (which I do a lot), I decided to give it a second go, and it was alot more appealing to me this time.

You can see what I'm getting at now, so I'll spare you more stories that pretty much follow the exact same plot. I'm sure a bunch of you out there have had your fair share of these experiences. I've even had some that are regarded as classics that I didn't care too much for (Vertigo), and some that I loved the first time but cared for slightly less the second time (After Hours).

So, what movies have you seen that gave you The Dark Knight Fever?

2 comments:

  1. Magnolia had to have given me the biggest impact when it came between viewings. I saw it the first time and thought it tried too hard to be big and emotional. But, I saw it a second time and came to see how great a movie it really was. I had the same thing with A Serious Man (for a recent example), and has become one of my favourite Coens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the film that gave me that experience most recently was also A Serious Man, which has made its way into my top 100.

    ReplyDelete